SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobbarker14

New TifSport sod plan / questions

bobbarker14
12 years ago

Hello all, I just laid down some TifSport sod on Saturday April 14th and I was looking for some feedback on my initial maintenance plan and on a couple of questions I have. I've read and reread the Bermuda Bible and am quite familiar with it. So, for my plan...

1. Water water water.

2. Water water water.

3. First mow around the 2-4 week mark depending on grass length. Ultimate goal length of 1" but will mow incrementally so as not to take too much off at once.

4. Initial fertilization around 4 week mark and every month thereafter during the growing season. First question...what should I use initially? The Bermuda Bible says a 15-5-10 type for the first spring treatment. Should I use this first or jump straight to 39-0-0 since I'm assuming the sod farm fertilized before delivery? Or, should I go with a starter type fert?

5. Weeds... The reason I resodded was because my neighbors and I had St. Augustine which had pretty much disappeared in favor of crabgrass and multiple broadleaf weed varieties. I'm worried about the possible spreading of my neighbors weeds to my new yard. Everything I've read says to suck it up and not apply pre-emergent until next season so as not to inhibit grass growth. Is post-emergent ok after a month if they pop out? Ive seen a Lesco crabgrass preventer at Home Depot.

6. Grubs and chinch bugs... Huge problem with these guys last season. I know I should drop grub killer around mid-June when they are becoming active. Would you guys risk this as the lawn will have been down 2 months by the time mid June rolls around?

7. Core aeration...was planning on waiting till next Summer.

Any feedback? Planning on a soil test in the near future...

Thanks!

Comments (16)