SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dallasbrownthumb

Re-sod, fertilize, pray, or cry?

dallasbrownthumb
14 years ago

We have a half-acre yard that seems to be dying. None of the plants seem to be doing well, and the St. Augustine is extremely thin and patchy overall with some areas just dirt. We've been in the house about a year and half and we have been trying to bring things back, but we're not having much luck. The only things that really seem to be doing well are the trees and the asian jasmine in some of the beds. We have about a ten huge old live oaks, a red oak, and half dozen other trees whose varieties I don't know. The live oaks are beautiful, but I curse them every day because it seems like they are always dropping something--acorns, leaves, little twigs, etc. Last year when the acorns and leaves were really coming down we raked up and mulched over 8,000 lbs them from just the front and side yard. Ugh! There are so many that we can't ever get them all up.

Anyway, over the last year we've really been trying to water and mow properly but the lawn just gets slowly worse and worse. I know the person that owned the house before us used a ton of garden chemicals and over watered.

We've fired the yard crew who always cut the grass to short, and we've had the trees trimmed to allow a bit more sun. We're looking at organic fertilizers and soil amendments, and the possibility of re-sodding but we don't know what to do.

I know that the lawn doesn't get much sun, but I see other yards with equally shady areas that have grass on their dirt! There must be something we can do, but what is it?

Fertilize?

Re-sod?

Cry? (that hasn't been working for us for far...)

We have a quote from Redenta's for their organic fertilization service. They are recommending 5 treatments over the course of the year at $200 each. I understand the notion of "live soil" and it makes sense, but since I have not experience with any of this stuff I don't know what is actually useful and what is just voodoo.

I have a soil test kit, and am waiting for the ground to dry enough to get the samples sent off for analysis. Aside from that,

HOW IN THE HECK DO I FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO NEXT?

I figure the organic fertilization can't hurt, but I also don't want to get ripped off and pay for a bunch of useless nonsense. Do we also re-sod? How do we determine if that's a reasonable thing to do? Who do you recommend for this in Dallas and what should it cost? How in the heck do we get all these live oak leaves and acorns up? Are they keeping the grass from growing?

Sorry for the rambling questions, as you can see, I don't even know where to begin!

Comments (3)