SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

northeast nectarines- my favorite 'peach'

alan haigh
14 years ago

I posted earlier about the first half of harvest season producing mostly bland, sugar deficient peaches. This was largely the result of an exceptionally cool and wet June and July. The exceptions were less established peaches- it seems their root systems didn't pick up as much of the excess water. It may also be that their lighter cropping and generally less vigorous growth caused sweeter fruit. The weather improved immensely in August and late peaches have been satisfactory though not great.

It is interesting how much less nectarines were affected by these difficult conditions. They seem to also be significantly less vigorous as a group than peaches- including those on my property that are well established. Even on my well established Summer Beaut nectarine, which was not adequately thinned, the fruit was highly flavored. Very small fruit had almost as much flavor (sugar, acid, etc) as well sized fruit.

I have come to the conclusion that my favorite peach is in fact a nectarine and intend to grow enough varieties to get a harvest that will span the season. This evaluation is based on the last 5 seasons that IÂve had any nectarines to taste. As a rule they are more intensely flavored than peaches.

Of course, as might be expected, there is a price to pay for the pleasure of high brix nectarines and that is extreme susceptibility to brown rot. I put down 3 Indar sprays but stopped a month before harvest and still had significant brown rot damage. Even with the prompt removal of rotting fruit the BR spread to small branches- killing them. Next season I will rotate the Indar with Pristine to try to control resistance. I will continue to try to avoid spray closer than 30 days from harvest. The higher sugar also makes them more attractive to yellow jackets, and birds. Insects also like the smooth skin.

So far, Summer Beaut and Redgold seem well suited for East coast conditions. I salvaged some wonderful fruit from another tree I believe to be Hardired but cracking, brown rot and wasps (they like the cracks) cost me most of it. IÂd like to know if anyone out there has grown other varieties in a humid climate that are resistant to cracking

Comments (5)