SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
surfsidewood_gw

Empire Zoysia Looking really bad. Help!

surfsidewood
14 years ago

Hi, I just laid down new empire zoysia sod about 8 months ago, My lawn is used a lot by my kids playing, and I have a brand new sprinkler system that covers very well. For the first few months the grass was looking great. It was deep green and was soft to walk on. It always looked the best in the parts of the yard that got shade throughout most of the day. Now the parts that are in the shade still look o.k. but the rest of the lawn that gets full sun looks horrible. It is all brown with little purple tips. Also I had some sort of fungus that was quickly taking over and there are 5 dead spots that are about 6' in diameter. I used Fertilome F-stop twice as directed by my county extension office but the grass just will not go green. We have had a very cold winter for central Florida with many nights in the 30's, but should the grass be this brown? Is this normal for Zoysia? How much should I water it? It feels so dry and brittle, but I think I was over watering which is probably why the fungus started. Any advice would be greatly apppreciated. This is our first house, and my kids first yard to play in, so this is very important to me.

Thanks in advance.

George

Comments (12)