SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beeonegw

Cross Pollination/compatibility requirements for Nuts

Beeone
14 years ago

Can different members of the walnut family act as pollinators for each other? Primarily, I have a black walnut that I transplanted as a seedling. It had blossoms this year for the first time and when I saw them I finally looked some info up on the internet and found they are supposed to have another for cross pollination. That got me wondering if I tried to grow any other members of the family, such as carpathian type walnuts, butternuts, hickory nuts, etc, could they cross pollinate or do I have to have another black walnut? I'm also told that none of the walnut family will grow in my area, but I like to experiment and there are other members of the family that are zone rated to be hardy enough and I am tempted to give them a try.

Or will they self pollinate? Black walnuts are uncommon in the area and I've seen some trees loaded with nuts and no others anywhere nearby and the information I've seen says pollination is primarily by wind, so with large distances between trees it makes me wonder if they will be self fruitful and maybe cross pollination just improves the yield?

Finally, if I do need to get a pollinator, how easy are black walnuts to graft as I would rather attempt to graft a branch or ten on the existing tree instead of planting another tree nearby. The space I planted other seedling black walnuts in that died has now been occupied by fruit trees that I don't want to remove.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments (7)