SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mynextlawn

Soil Test Result

mynextlawn
16 years ago

I totally renovated my front lawn last fall with the help of many of the folks here. I did the whole roundup grass kill, aerating, raking, planting (seed blend suggested by bestlawn - thanks), compost top-dressing, daily watering, fertilizing thing. I even built several of the buried sprinkler stations that I read about in the "Sprinkler" post. I must have done something right because the grass actually grew. I don't post very often, but I read the forum almost daily. Thanks for all your help.

Anyway, I had a soil test done about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and received my results yesterday. I was happy with most of what I saw, especially the percentage of organic matter. It jumped from 2.4% in 2006 to 4.8% now. I mulch mowed the grass and leaves the second half of last year. That plus the compost top-dressing on the front lawn has obviously made a big difference. Even the back yard, which did not receive any compost and was tested separately, jumped from 2.4% to 4.4%. Yea! The one part of the soil test results that I don't understand is "Neutralizable Acidity". This has always been zero with all of my past test results. I guess I always assumed zero was neutral, and didn't pay much attention to it. This year it caught my attention because it is 1. What does this mean? Should I be happy that it changed, or should I be doing something to encourage it back to zero.

Comments (7)