SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edd13chen

Mixing Bermuda grass with St Augustine for one continuous lawn

edd13chen
10 years ago

First of all, this is my first post and I'm a total lawn care newbie, so please excuse any ignorance.

We just bought a house with a small backyard lawn that continuously flows into the two side lawns on each side of the house. The builder installed bermuda grass, which seems like the popular choice down here in Houston (St Augustine being the other popular one).

Problem is, the side lawns are essentially narrow walkways from the front yard to the back yard and are each in between the side of the house and our wooden fence, therefore it is heavily shaded. As you can probably guess, after 4 years of little care by the previous homeowner, the bermuda grass is pretty much mostly gone now, and the only vegetation there is a large variety of weeds. Thankfully, the weeds are keeping the dirt in place and prevent erosion, at least.

My question is, since Bermuda seems like a poor choice here on the side lawns with the shade, can I mix in another type of grass on the side lawns that handles shade better (such as St Augustine?), while maintaining my decent-looking front/back with Bermuda? Would there be any adverse cross-germination to be concerned about? If we really don't mind the aesthetics of the two looking very different, could I work towards maintaining the two grass types such that they coexist happily? I know the areas where one grass type meets the other would look really hideous, but we feel like this is truly the best low-cost option.

Again, I have no idea whether the different grass types require different maintenance, so if this is a dumb question, please excuse me. My wife and I just want to install something on the side lawns that's going to survive the low sunlight conditions, while keeping the bermuda in the front/back. It'd be great to still have grass on all sides of the house another 4 years from now.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)