SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wxman81

Winter Overseeding

wxman81
16 years ago

I'm planning on winter overseeding Thursday over about 12-18 inches of snow. Its supposed to snow again Thursday night so my thoughts are that it will cover the seeds to keep them from blowing away. As the snow starts melting over the next month it will work its way into the ground and hopefully germinate with minimal effort.

The area I'm overseeding isn't really a part of the lawn I care about too much. It basically extends from a tree line back to the train tracks which mark the end of my property. It gets plenty of shade in the summer so I just bought a sun/shade mix from a box store. Only reason I'm overseeding it is to hopefully get rid of some bare patches from a really old lawn (probably 30+ years since last overseeding).

Hoping I get at least 50% of the seeds to germinate. Would look much better. Anyone have luck with winter overseeding?

By the way, I am itching for this snow to melt so I can see how my penncross creeping bentgrass backyard comes back this year. I'm so anxious for that :) :) :)

Comments (5)