SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tpapa2001

New to Floratam...

tpapa2001
11 years ago

Hi All,
I'm new home owner and really need help with taking care of my lawn. We had the front and back lawn sodded last spring, and everything was going well till this the upper spot show up. I got my neighbor's lawn care contractor to treat the area but it doesn't seem to work. sine then the second spot show up (please see photo). The back was doing well also till this winter, I pulled some of the dead grass and it seem like fungus damage. Before I water once a week but since we had rain this week I turned off the sprinkler system. And of course there's all kind of weeds (seems like I can only attach one photo at a time).

I've read FQA in organic lawn care and there are a lot of informations and I'm in the state of information overload.

1. What cause the spots? Grub worms? If so, how do I tread this area?

2. Fungus, how do I go about treading this? I've read cornmeal from feed stores will help.

3.Weeds, how do I go about treading this?

4. Fertilizer, what is the best way to go about this?

5. We're in the middle of winter, it is too late to do anything and wait till spring?

I know I'm jumping all over the place and wanting to do many thing at once.

If at all possible, I would like to go the organic route. I spoke to my neighbor about his yard pest control; he have professional taking of it. The number he gave was around $64/month and they spray once a month. I know you pay for their experience/expertise, chemicals, equipment and manpower. This might be a good number for all I know.

The other route is to go to big box store and buy off the shelf products and apply it. Again, too little to late?

Any advice/criticism/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)