SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littledog_gw

Pimp My Mailbox

littledog
16 years ago

The county road grader had knocked our old mailbox over twice, so when we put it up this last time, we attached it to a considerably longer pole to clear the ditch and still reach the road. My husband and I pulled this beauty out of a an old country dump last year, rusted and smashed. It spent the better part of a year here and there as a decorative object in the yard before we found it a permanent home.

It's not *quite* finished; once the paint dries, I'll cut notches out of the rubber wheels so they'll fit and re-attach them. Still want to pick up a pair of those swell handlebar grips with streamers just to doll it up a bit. I might even add a basket later if I can find a nice vintage one.

On the construction side; we're going to notch a larger diameter pole to use as a brace just in front of the wheel where the thin bar is now. It won't actually be attached, just in case some unfortunate motorist should find themself barreling down on a collision course with our objet d'art. By leaving the second brace unattached, if it were hit, it should fall into the bar ditch as the mailbox swings out of the way rather than holding the whole thing rigidly in place to crash through someone's windshield. Hopefully, with the shiny aluminum paint and an antique truck reflector that shows up for half a mile, we'll never have to find out how well that would work, but it's always best to plan ahead.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:153400}}

Comments (23)