SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
from_matilda

Apple Crop Questions

from_matilda
16 years ago

I have about 8 apple trees, planted by previous owners probably 15+ years ago (they are huge and have not been pruned in years) I have no idea what kind they are. My guess is 5 of them are Granny smith (they look and taste like granny smith. The other three I'm not too sure about.

Anyway, the reason for my post. I live in Northwest new Jersey. Local apple orchards start advertising "U pick" usually the week after labor day. My trees look loaded now, and the apples are starting to fall to the ground (much to the delight of our deer!!)

I picked one today and tried it...it tastes crisp and tart (which is secretly how I like them!) BUT, before I let my kids "dig in" I wanted to ask if anyone knows what would happen if you ate an under ripe apple? Will it make you sick?

My kids are anxious to go eat an apple off our trees, but I wanted some other more knowledgeable opinions first.

I have such a large apple crop this year (which are 100% organic since we did nothing to them, and we were lucky as to the quality of the apples and lack of bugs and other diseases)that I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with all of them, but I'm excited to get picking!

Also, any suggestions on how to preserve apples? I'll do jelly again this year, but would welcome other suggestions. I currently have about 48 cups of sour cherries frozen from a banner cherry crop this year....it's been a great summer for our fruit trees!

Thanks for the advice, suggestions, and sharing!

Comments (7)