SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boats3

The 9-iron ninja attacked my yard

Boats3
11 years ago

I am totally going to inundate you guys with questions; I love this forum.

Soooooo ... I have been fighting a two-year battle with annual ryegrass that my neighbor tossed in their yard (apparently in a windstorm, since half of it cropped up in my yard). Worse, I'm still finding clumps of poa, my mortal enemy.

Before abusing the search function here, I would religiously dig out the poa when I found them and toss some seed on the bare spot. Yeah, I know, I'm ashamed.

My 419 is aggressive enough that it still dominates the yard, but the biggest thing I didn't consider is backfilling the divots from the poa removal. Now my front yard is pretty healthy, already greening up nicely (it's Feb!!), but it looks like the psycho golfer comes at night and goes off on my lawn with a lob wedge.

That's annoying, from an purely aesthetic perspective, but the worst part is that I have to keep ye olde reel mower at 1.5" at the lowest to keep from scalping and getting the dreaded clip ripples.

Is spot filling with sand the best option to start the leveling process? I'm not ready to have a truck come dump five yards of paver on my lawn yet ... perhaps when I have more time to do it right.

I really want to be able to mow down to 1" ... I simply can't right now. Help!

Comments (8)