SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela12345_gw

When is it OK to Sod ? Can I do it Now ?

angela12345
14 years ago

We live in central NC. It is snowing at this very moment although this has been a weird winter for our area (and much of the USA). We have a zoysia lawn that does very well despite our lack of knowledge and oftentimes lack of attention. It was put in by a previous owner probably more than 8 years ago.

Last year we dug out the sod in a 3 x 18 foot area (ugh!) and installed a small raised bed garden. We gave the sod away and ended up with about 2-3 small wheelbarrows full of clay/topsoil that we stacked over in a corner of the yard that did not have grass (it was covered in leaves & pine straw and had a large bushy/tree in that area which we removed.

Fast forward to this year. Last weekend, on our only somewhat warm day that was not raining that we have had in months, I finally put together the compost bin in that corner where the bush was (that I have had the components to build since last fall). I used the leftover clay/topsoil to build up the compost bin area a bit so that it would be higher than the surrounding areas and drain well. Right in front of the new compost bin is where we had stacked the soil, so now this area is just mud in approx a 4 x 8 foot area.

My next project is to extend the line of the new raised bed garden around that side of the yard with a plant/flower bed (although the new area will not be raised), so I will be removing more sod. I would like to take that sod and place it in the area in front of the compost bin to be able to have grass there. So, after this long background story I finally get to the questions ...

When is it ok to dig up sod and place it in another area in your yard ? Our zoysia is completely dormant right now and will be until approx April or May. Is there anything special we need to do to place the sod ? Should we fertilize or lime or anything like that ? Should we use anything to mash it down to be sure it contacts the soil underneath or will just walking on it mash it enough ? I imagine that it will also happen naturally thru the rest of the winter/spring as it rains, etc ? Any other tips ?

Comments (3)