SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deadplants

lawn full of weeds

14 years ago

I am getting to ready to kill off all the nutgrass in my lawn by spraying with round up repeatedly until it is all gone. I have done this in the past with another property but it was in the country where the large expanse is not so terrible for the 2+ seasons it will take to eradicate the scurge. This property is a corner lot in a nice neighborhood, so my method of covering with straw and continued roundup treatment may not be ideal. it is the continued treatment that has worked for me in the past, problem is I still want the place to look nice without to much expense. I know I can be green in a few weeks, but when the nutgrass sprouts up, I have to kill it all again. bark mulch would look OK in the interim, but will not decay fast enough and be more work to get rid of. I am thinking the solution would be some type of visually appealing mulch that will decay, keep weeds from growing, and only the nuts in the ground already will grow through them and be killed off accordingly. I would like to use horse dung, but again, it is a nice neighborhood, and would not be appropriate. allysium flowers seem to be very hardy and blooms through most of the year is another thought. Also it is too cold to start a roundup treatment here in Sacramento, ca or is it? It is mid 50's to low 60's days and 40's and lower at night. a mid 60's temp on a sunny day is what I always thought was best. This is nasty stuff, it's threads were growing up between the wood trim and the siding and along the gutters and up under the roofing! On second thought, we did fix up the house and looks a lot better, so maybe the neighbors would be happy to look at my mulch for a while. Thank you for all your thoughts and opinions

Comment (1)