SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Hothouse Flower and the Nine Plants of Desire

Hothouse Flower and the Nine Plants of Desire by Margot Berwin. Has anyone else read it? It's a ro-mystery about plants! Not sickening like a Harlequin or other similar drivel, and men who like plants would also enjoy reading it.

Even as "planty" as I am, I'm blown away by how much it's possible to discuss plants in the way it's done in this story, which starts in NYC and then heads to Mexico. Almost finished with it, what a wild book. There are MANY other plants discussed/mentioned but the "9 plants of desire" are:

(I've borrowed the pics, hopefully correct ones, from - wherever would let me.)

Gloxinia speciosa - the mythical plant of love at 1st sight.

{{gwi:111103}}

Zamia furfuracea (Mexican Cycad) - the plant of immortality. A living dinosaur.

{{gwi:111105}}

Cacao theobroma (chocolate) - Chocolate tree of food and fortune.

{{gwi:111107}}

Ipomoea alba (moonflower vine) - Bringer of fertility and procreation.

{{gwi:111110}}

Cannabis sativa (marijuana) - the plant of female sexuality.

{{gwi:111111}}

Convallaria majalis (lily of the valley) - Delivers life force. In a pinch, this plant can replace Digitalis as a medication for an ailing heart.

{{gwi:111112}}

Atropa mandragora (Mandrake) - According to both Shakespeare an the Holy Bible, this is the plant of magic.

{{gwi:111113}}

Cichorium intybus (chicory) - The plant of freedom. Offering invisibility to those who dare to ingest its' bitter, milky juice.

{{gwi:111114}}

Datura inoxia - the plant of mind travel and high adventure. Bringer of visions and dreams of the future.

{{gwi:111115}}

"There is a 10th plant too. The passion plant with no name. To find out about that one, you have to read the book..." (it's a Bromeliad, I know that much.)

Many of the chapters have plant names:

Strelitzia reginae (bird of paradise)

Oxalis hedysaroides rubra (fire fern)

Trachycarpus fortunei (Chinese windmill palm)

Washingtonia robusta (Mexican fan palm)

epiphytic plants

Feel free to comment on the book, or the plants, or whatever... (Wow, I added a lot of words to computer's dictionary with THIS post.)

Comments (18)