SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grover173

Rain runoff is ruining lawn - looking for ideas

grover173
16 years ago

About 6 months ago we installed a privacy fence around our backyard. The yard extends due West from the house and follows a slight grade down in the same direction. Before we installed the fence, any rainwater would flow easily down the grade and into the property beyond my yard's borders.

Now that we have a fence up, the first couple feet of the South side of the yard doesn't get much sun and I think it's making the grass thin out. But even worse, somehow the fence has caused the water to drain differently, or sometimes not at all. Instead of grass next to the fence, there is a 2-3 foot strip of MUD. Sometimes water stagnates there for days even after a light rain. It looks terrible, makes a large portion of the yard unfit for the kids to play in; and even more I'm worried it will become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

Any suggestions on how to revitalize this part of the yard and make it grassy instead of muddy? I could try to dig a trench along the fence, but I'm not sure that would work. I'm also not sure re-seeding will help because of the lack of direct sun. If worse comes to worse I'll just turn that side of the yard into a flowerbed and mulch it all in, but I'd rather not do that if I can help it--my yard is already "postage stamp" sized.

Help appreciated!

Comments (10)