SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

pool back hoe will squish my garden, Boo hoo.

lakedallasmary
15 years ago

My hubby is taking about getting a pool. Not sure if it will be this Feb or in a few years. Depends if we can refinance the house and pool to get the payments the same. Of cource I am against getting the pool, since the backhoe will have to roll over a big part of my garden to get to the back yard.

I have only been veggie gardening for 4 years and the soil is just beginning to get nice. Soil here in north central Texas is horrible.

Is there anything I could do to protect my garden, like maybe piling up mulch to possibly cushion the soil from compaction.

I was also thinking of shoveling out the nice soil and moving it someplace else then moving it back after they are done. But I hate disturbing the soil and soil life. The soil takes years to recover from digging in it.

I am just so upset about all this. Trying to not let hubby know just how upset I really am. He does know I am not happy about it, but does not realize how really really upset about it I am.

I think the backhoe will need to roll over 1/2 my garden. I may just keep my garden 1/2 the size after this is all over.

Nothing much grows well in those beds farthest from the house. (The ones the back hoe will run over) In the hot Texas sun, afternoon shade is much appreciated by the plants. The beds the backhoe will compact don't get as much afternoon shade, so they dry out a lot.

I was thinking of adding some beds beside the fence in the back yard but there are chemical users that live next door.

All I need is lawn chemicals in my food. (being sarcastic)

I was also thinking of putting root veggies in the front flower beds next to the house. This is a north east exposure, so plants are much happier in the front. I would put my whole garden in the front yard but, I don't think pole beans and sprawling tomatoes would look too good in the front yard.

You know, messing with a gardener's garden, should be grounds for divorce!

Comments (11)