SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josko021

Please help with first-time row cover experiment

josko021
13 years ago

I�m thinking of experimenting with a floating cover next year and could use all the help I can get.

I have 3 4�x8� beds for tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. They�re end to end, so a single 35�x4� cover would fit. Our last frost date is ~4/15 (last year, 3/28), but local wisdom has it not to set out tomatoes until Memorial day. There�s a lot of dreary 40F, cloudy, rainy weather between the two dates. (The ocean takes a while to warm up.) Soil is sandy, so it can be worked by mid-March. The beds have winter rye on them now, and are in good shape, so no amendments should be necessary. I might put on a couple inches of compost before tilling.

I understand I could warm up the soil by a black plastic mulch, and then plant through it. I�d get hoops and Argibon cover from Johnny�s, but have no idea what kind or how to do �it�.

Here is a couple of questions:

When do I put down the black plastic in relation to last frost date? Right after I till/fertilize or later?

Do I need to set up irrigation hoses under the plastic or can enough water get in through the planting holes?

Do I set up the row cover at the same time as the black plastic or wait until after I plant? Can rainwater get through the row cover?

How much should I advance my tomato, eggplant and pepper setting out dates because of the plastic mulch and row covers?

Any other hints or shared experiences would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)