SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_md_gw

Question for Jellyman on grafting yellow delicious apple

14 years ago

Don, I have some questions about grafting and pruning apples. I currently have a yellow delicious apple that I had grafted from scions from the tree I grew up with at my momÂs house (a friend did the grafting). This was done back in 1986 and was grafted onto a semi-dwarf rootstock (I live in Maryland and purchased my rootstock from a nursery in Biglerville, PA). Over the years, I have not been able to keep the tree at a really manageable height and want to start over. I saw on this forum a while back about open or "vase-shape" pruning on apple trees and think this would be ideal for keeping tree height in check. I know I will need to plant rootstock this fall and I think I can then graft in the spring. I have never done any grafting, but will try my hand at it this time.

My question is about rootstock selection. I assume I want to use the semi-dwarf rootstock again. When choosing the size of the rootstock, at what height on the tree trunk should the tree start branching out? Then, when I graft, do I cut the tree off just below where the branches start? Assuming my grafts take, how long do I let the branches grow before I cut the leader out for the vase-shape pruning? I would very much appreciate if you can give me some guidance here. If I am wrong in my time frames for stock planting and grafting, please correct me also.

By the way, I just saw the earlier post by Lifespeed inquiring if yellow delicious and golden delicious were the same apple. Believe me, this older variety far exceeds the newer varieties in flavor and keeping quality, hence my reason for wanting to continue this strain of apple (my scion came from a tree that started existence probably 70 years ago). We always received comments from folks on how sweet our yellow delicious apple was when I was growing up and I have received the same comments over the years from my grafted tree. Yes, the apple skin may have some "russeting" on it, but we always knew that as normal. It is a shame apple breeders feel the need to develop fruit that meets "their" standard of what a perfect fruit is; it was already perfectâº!

Comments (12)