SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnycadoseed

Leafhoppers driving me crazy!!

johnnycadoseed
16 years ago

Every year, starting at springtime, I fight leafhoppers on my grape vines. To start, every winter, I rake and remove all the cedar bark that I have put in all the beds because I've read that the leafhoppers winter in any wood laying on the ground. In springtime, I start the war with insect soap (at $5.95 for a 24 oz spray bottle once a week, it gets a little pricy), before sun up, making sure I spray the back sides of the leaves and plant geraniums for the smell they don't like. I never get completely rid of them and by this time of the year I have a full infestation. I'm trying Malathion as of now and still getting less then good results. I've been thinking about buying one of those hose attachments and drenching all of the vines but I have a nesting pair of hummingbirds that live right above one of my Thompson seedless vines and don't want to kill them. I'm open for suggestions

Thanks, John

P.S. I haven't tried the homemade soap recipe that is mentioned in some of the postings. I figure if store bought insect soap or malathion doesn't work, why should something I brew up do any better. But I could be wrong.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions