SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gundy600rr

Ming Aralia Questions..

gundy600rr
14 years ago

Ok I've got a stumper that hopefully some plant fanatics can help solve.

I purchased a Ming Aralia about 2 months ago. I split some of the trunks as I had planned to use them in my Crested Gecko terrariums (Split within 3 tanks). I used a substrate of fir and sphagnum peat moss with a drainage layer of river rocks. I planted the Aralia and didn't put any geckos in the tank as I wanted the plant to 'settle' in. At first some of them dropped their leaves, but then they just exploded with growth. They get misted regularly, and rarely flushed with water as the geckos need a semi humid environment with a dry out period.

One of the plants in the tank on the end has started showing yellowing leaves with brown spots underneath them. At first I researched it and it mentioned either under watering or over, so I did the finger in the soil test and it seemed dry ( not much soil stuck to my finger ). So I flushed the roots in hopes to revive the plant. In the mean time I also pulled off the yellowing leaves. A few weeks later that section of the branch regrew green leaves, but now its on the other side of the branch yellowing leaves and brown spots all over.

I use RO water, so I know its not a tap water issue. And there are plenty of other branches and sticks I have added to the tank to help give the gecko other stuff to climb on rather than the plant. I thought it was plant stress at first as I thought the geckos were ripping the plant up, but my other two tanks with the plant splittings in them are growing outstanding without any issue.

They are underneath 6700k fluorescent plant tubes.

Any thoughts? I can provide photos of the tanks upon request.

Comments (2)