SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

pH meter, acidifying well water

After bragging about the Accurate 8 pH meter my confidence in it has fallen. Both mine and my friends seem to be reading too low by at least a point. They read within 0.2 points of each other but I think both read too low. So everything I've written about pH and blueberries this year is questionable.

In particular the question of how low to acidify well water. The Accurate 8 isn't for measuring liquids but readings on the media threw me off this summer. Instead of acidifying well water to pH 4.5-5, I raised that to 6 and ended up with media reading upper 4s to low 5s, should be OK. But the plants told another story, the leaves were chlorotic.

Linked below is an interesting discussion on the citrus forum about vinegar. Mainly the last post by silica is interesting. He says one needs to acidify to pH 4.5 to remove all alkalinity, carbonates. So when the time comes I'm going back to pH 4.5 on acidified well water.

It could be that the Accurate 8 is reading fine and I'm still getting chlorosis because the water still contains carbonates. But whatever, I'm trusting what the plants are telling me and not the pH meter.

My head spins and spins!!

Here is a link that might be useful: acidifying well water

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES