SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlfromthegarden

pH soil acidifying with battery acid?

girlfromthegarden
17 years ago

Thought I'd doublecheck with you all, since it's not something I've come across recently here - use of battery (sulfuric) acid found at auto parts stores, etc., for lowering water pH when adding to blueberries, pawpaws, etc. - ??? I was advised to use this by the gentleman who sent me two of the four pawpaw seedlings I acquired this spring, for keeping the soil more acidic. Elsewhere I've read you can buy this acid, but don't know how safe it is to handle, and what's a recommended dilution if tap water tends to be pretty hard/alkaline (tbsp/gallon type of ratio would be helpful). Vinegar is cheaper but, as my dad (former chemist) says, is a fairly weak acid - anyone know the difference between obtaining roughly the same lowered pH in a gallon of water using either of these? (I'd be using for watering blueberries in containers, too, so recommended concentrations might differ depending on whether the water's going to be poured into a pot vs. onto the ground around a pawpaw.)

If vinegar is safer and just as effective, then I won't mess with battery acid, but wanted to hear from wiser heads first.

Sherry

Comments (21)