SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lolear

asian pears what is going on?

lolear
13 years ago

I have 3 asian pears. I believe they are all different varieties but not sure which ones as I didn't plant them, they came with my house. :)

Last year I had a HUGE harvest and was giving bags of fruit away. This year due to multiple problems I think I will not get much out of them.

Problem 1. Fire blight. Last year one tree had it. We pruned it off as needed. Still had a good harvest. This year the adjacent tree had it but we caught it early and pruned it out. The pruning has caused some funny looking structure though.

Problem 2. Squirrels. Last year and years previous we had a large troop of alley cats patroling the neighborhood and though there were squirrels, not that much theft/damage. This year the cats have been rounded up and the squirrels are hitting the trees hard. Everyday I go out and there are 20-30 fruits on the ground, partially eaten, rotting... It's nasty. Thought about netting them (the trees, not the squirrels) but they are too tall and growing through some electical lines. They also grow along a fence in a small backyard. Can they be pruned from the top?

Problem 3. What is left doesn't look that great. I don't know if it is the extra hot and stormy summer we are having or what... Some fruit seems to be rotting while small and still on the trees. Other fruits look okay. Here's a pic.

{{gwi:122522}}

{{gwi:122523}}

Any thoughts about what I should do? These trees are a mess. Any way to make them more manageable?

Thanks!

Laura

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm