SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

What vegetables grow well in limited sunlight?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

We liven on a 1.25 acre, heavily wooded lot with 2 clearings that get limited sun. But if we move from one spot in the clearing to another spot just 10 feet away, the amount of sunlight in the new spot drops about 1.5 -2 hours per day. So we cannot just grow in any spot in the clearing.

The area where I grew my large Dahlias and large Zinnias is the sunniest spot, in that it gets about 6-8 hours of sun in high June,depending upon which area within that spot we planted. The dahlia at the top of the rows gets 7.5 - 8 hours in June, and the Dahlia at the bottom of the rows just 9 feet away gets 6 hours. But as the months go by, and we get into sept and October(prime Dahlia blooming months), the amount of daily sun is down to like 2-4 hours per day, or less!

But the area where we grow vegetables gets only about 4-5.5 hours per day, depending upon whether its at the front or rear of the garden area. But later in the year, as the sun drops further down in the sky, the amount of daily sun also drops, to the point where in late September, there is only 2.5-3 hours of sun in the vegetable garden area.

So, we've tried tomatoes 2 years in a row, and many grow tall and stringy, with low production. We've tried watermelons 2 years in a row, but the melons never grow larger than 3-4 lbs. or so....

But, we tried cukes this year in the front of the garden, and allowed them to grow across the ground. Otherwise if we trellised them they would've shaded everything else. So they grew their vines towards the back of the garden, where there is even less sun, but the cukes were very productive nonetheless.

We grew 3 bell peppers, 2 Poblano/Anchos, and 1 Tam Jalapeno, and they grew pretty well too, with lots of peppers, even though 2 of them were in the shadiest locations.

So, finally I'll get to the question after droning on and on.....

Are there any other vegetable that do well and produce well in limited sun like what I described?

Comments (8)