SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
presidiogarden

Amateur gardener- advice on growing in mild climate

presidiogarden
13 years ago

I live in a very mild climate. It is almost winter and it has been 55 F outside during the day and high 40s/ low 50s at night. It never gets to freezing or below during the winter (I am on the Pacific Coast)

I have a small garden in the rear of my apartment building that I can use exclusively which is a major score, however, there is not much direct sun light (and this time of year none at all). There is a 2 story house and garage directly abutting my garden to the east, a 3 story home to the north, and a 75- 100 foot tall redwood tree growing directly above my garden that acts as a canopy to the west. My 3 story apartment building faces south. It is not dark in my garden, but it is not bright either. There are trees and ivy growing everywhere in the surrounding yards which is very pretty but it filters most of the sunlight. What type of fruits and vegetables grow in this situation?

Since my landlord had the bright idea of paving over most of the garden, I am forced to grow in containers. Three days ago I planted from seed spinach, lettuce, edamame, chard, and kale, as I understand these don't need as much sunlight. I also mixed in my organic potting soil with home made vermicompost which I have been doing for over a year now.

What is your advice? I really want to make it work since it gives me excitement thinking about watching my own lettuce grow and cutting off the top for harvest. I would like to take photos of my set up and post them later so you can get a better idea of what I am discussing.

One last question- is vermicompost enough for fertilizer?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting