SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jellyman_gw

Lychee's Squirrels Only

jellyman
15 years ago

Lychee:

Your previous squirrel inquiry got out of hand like nothing I have seen in eight years here at Fruits and Orchards, so I am staying as far away from that baby as possible. Besides, it is full.

But you may still want to deal with your squirrels, and I think I can tell you how. It is the bonbon method, and I'm not sure if it was mentioned lately or not. It seems to work.

After several years of keeping the sq's under control with a pellet gun, I had a serious buildup this spring. So I made the peanut butter/plaster of paris bonbons, using 1/2 cup of each ingredient, and blending with a fork in a cereal bowl. At the end, it was a little dry for ballmaking, so I added a tiny bit of vegetable oil and mixed again. Perfect.

I was able to make 20 bonbons with the mix, and, late in the evening, placed them on 20 consecutive fenceposts at the bottom of the yard. Next morning I strolled down about 10 in the morning to see if anything had happened. I had to do a double take, because every single bonbon was gone. I thought maybe the deer had done it, then looked around the yard. Not a squirrel in sight, where there previously been at least a half-dozen visible at all times. It was eerie. Like a Hitchcock movie. For four days I never saw a single squirrel, then finally saw one in the front yard close to some large trees on the neighbor's property. Now I see maybe one-two per day, sometimes none, when I had previously seen 6-8 at any given moment. Something happened to those squirrels, and I am pretty sure it was the bonbons.

I really don't want to get into right/wrong issues of squirrel control, much less global matters, and I dearly hope this thread does not veer in those directions. This is intended exclusively to allow Lychee to deal with her squirrels in an easy and effective manner, and nothing else.

My thanks go to Lucky, from whom I lifted this idea several years ago, even though he says he lifted it from someone else. No matter. I would call them Lucky Balls except that might be disrespectful, so am sticking with bonbons.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Comments (17)