SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yanggers

Damaged Asian Persimmon, trim branches?

yanggers
13 years ago

(Let me know if anyone want me to post a photo to see what I'm talking about.)

Hello,

I am looking for recommendations on trimming my small Asian persimmon tree. I don't have the cultivar name with me, but it is a low height, sweet-while-firm variety. It was planted 2 years ago and has grown to barely 6ft now. I'm just glad it recovered from getting its trunk snapped at 3ft from the ground last winter. There were no side branches left at the beginning of growing season, but now there are 4 branches growing side by side. One branch seems to have assumed the role of main trunk, sending out small side branches of its own. I want to know what to do with the 3 other branches. They all have nice big leaves. Should I trim them to the main trunk? If so, when? I am seeing axillary buds at the base of leaf petioles now.

Also, there seem to be a pest and/or disease problem where the leaf edges are curled up. Uncurling those edges revealed spiky white scale insects and tending ants. I got some neem oil concentrate and made dilution for spray today. I read that there is a disease specific to persimmons that makes the leaves curl. Is anyone familiar with this disease and how can I tell whether my persimmon tree has it in addition to scale insects?

Comments (8)