SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Unusual/Odd Veggies for Next Year?

Edymnion
11 years ago

Welp, this season officially ends tonight with our first real freeze (and then an even colder night tomorrow), and you know what that means. Time to start planning for next year!

Anyone have suggestions for odd and unusual fruits/veggies I can grow here in z7?

This year included black corn, pumpkin on a stick, three nuclear peppers (Bhut Jolokia, 7-Pot Douglah, and T. Scorpion Butch T), purple potatoes, blue tomatoes, kiwano, and... some regular old carrots.

But next year, what oh what can I grow for next year that either has that "[insert veggie here] isn't supposed to be that color..." or "What in the sweet name of a merciful God is that?!?" factor?

I'm overwintering one of each of the best peppers, got plenty of black corn seed (as well as some bloody butcher), saved some kiwano and blue tomato seed, but what else could I grow next year?

Perhaps a peck of peter peppers? Take a swing at growing the world's largest pumpkin? Hmmm... do pumpkins come in black? I know some squash do, but I mean something that would look like a Halloween jack-o-lantern pumpkin, only black?

Any ideas at all? Exotic plants that I can grow in a single z7 season, or common plants with an uncommon color/shape, or just something that most people would have absolutely no idea what it is by looking at it, anything like that would be great.

Ooh, I should look up where to get purple sweet potatoes from...

Comments (14)