SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glorybee_gw

Better Planning Next Year

glorybee
18 years ago

Hi All,

Well,

This year was our first experience on a large scale for a vegetable garden.And although we harvested plenty even despite the weeds and grass.I would prefer to be better prepared next year so it doesn't get so out of control we don't have to hunt for the pepper plants through grass.

My husband tilled 5,000 square feet and we got all the dirt clods out that we could.We pulled weeds and I shoveled weeds and shoveled grass but the more rain we had the faster grass took over.We want to be better prepared next year.We didn't use any round up or anything on the garden because we do want to plant veggies again.We thought about just covering the whole thing with plastic and leaving it on there for the fall and winter months,etc.The tomatoes had black rot on the bottoms,The beans didn't flourish and if they did they were woody.The first few watermelons did well butthe rest looked deformed and small.Gourds are doing well.Canteloupe and cukes did incredible.The corn oh the corn :(.We atleast got to taste fresh corn but we found out about japanese beetles too late.Bought a trap and it was half full in no time at all.Alot of the ears didn't form throughly.Peppers did well.But after awhile the bell peppers got black looking rot on them as well.What can we do now for next year to keep weeds and grass out completely?

We have weeds that smell good and have foilage like marigolds but grow like small trees.ALOT of white woody easy to pull weeds that look like little miniature lamb's ears trees.Weed that HURT.Very prickly.We left those in cause bugs seemed to love them and keep em away from other things.They have tiny green tomatoe looking things on them now.Grass that is green and red and looks like it grows in a circle.And some tall woody tiny green leave looking weeds that get woody with small white/yellow things on them.I need an id chart I think.Any ideas for what we should do after everything is pulled out and tilled and reraked ?It's mostly grass now.Except for the corn row.I guess we did a better job getting that area cleared out.We have a large tiller but I am so discouraged I am afraid for my husband to till until we know what we're doing cause the more I read the more it looks useless from all the things that talk about how long weed seed stays in the ground.I did read about a study that was done that if you till at night around midnight you'll have lower germination on seeds that get brought to the surface.Has anyone heard this ?Our yard was used as a hayfield previously.

Thanks for listening.I'm not afraid of hard work.Just want to work smarter as well :)

Heidi

Comments (13)

Sponsored