SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickima

Do you have a gardening dog?

15 years ago

I've had a West Highland White terrier, now 10 years old, helping me for awhile (pic below). She's a joy to have in the garden. She usually stays on the paths, and she's very interested in whatever I'm doing. She especially enjoys inspecting the harvest - I think she's as amazed at I am at what comes out of the ground! Most of the time, of course, she lies on the grass outside the garden and basks in the sun.

This fall I got a Springer Spaniel puppy, now 6 months old (pic below is at 3 mos). and I'm wondering what I'm going to do with him during those long gardening days in the spring. He could wreak havoc if I let him anywhere near, and I don't have a fenced area close by.

In a moment of sheer insanity on my part, I showed him how to harvest potatoes a couple months ago. I hadn't stopped to think what this might look like from his perspective: you get to dig, dig, dig and then find balls!! I don't think he's had as much fun before or since, but I've had to keep him away from the garden. LOL

So I've been thinking about other gardeners and their dogs. I did run across Skippy's Vegetable Garden a few months ago and it has become one of my favorite gardening blogs - and would be even without the dog! She has beautiful photographs and really seems to capture the appeal of gardening.

Do you have a gardening dog helper? Have you ever tried to train your dog to be a better gardener?

{{gwi:118609}}

{{gwi:118610}}

Comments (26)