SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northernellie

Converting display stand to lighted stand help?

northernellie
16 years ago

I have a tiered display stand (was for some energy drink, found in a dump, made of steel and really strong translucent yellow plastic shelves) I want to convert to a lighted stand for plants. It's got about 14" on each shelf and is triangular in shape (3 poles). The poles are hollow. I plan to run wire through the poles. I have a few options that I can think of... Little xenon under-cabinet lights either affixed to the underside of the shelf above or from each pole, 3 per shelf-ish; a larger circline fluorescent fixture, 1 per shelf; a single compact fluorescent bare bulb & fixture from the center of each shelf (hanging down). That's all I can think of.

I think the xenon would be too hot and not enough brightness (200 lumens per fixture from online), you? The circline would have the greatest brightness (600-1000 lumens) and least eye-offensiveness. The plain bulb would be by far the cheapest per lumen but also the ugliest and might glare a lot. But I can only find the circline in ceiling fixture type, not plug-in. Is it possible to wire them up to a plug-in cord or would that be a BAD idea? If it's not, where in the world can I find a reasonably priced circline fluorescent fixture that's not 5" thick? I'm reasonably handy and I've rewired lamps before but nothing like this (yet!).

I appreciate any input!

Comments (2)