SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dhaggard_gw

Initial introduction. Feeding and spraying help.

dhaggard
13 years ago

On another thread, Glenn said, "The good news, is we can help you. Start some new posts. In there, tell us where you're from. Once we have that, we can give you some initial suggestions."

So, as a newbie, I'll take him up on that.

I'm in southwest Iowa. Right down in the corner. Our soil is the famous Loess Hills soil. Almost pure topsoil with nearly no clay or sand. They call it "honey clay" because when it gets wet, it's consistency goes toward that of honey.

We are trying to re-establish our small orchard on land that has been used for fruit and gardens for decades. It once held an apricot orchard of some 2 dozen trees. The soil is pretty well depleted. Even a small garden will not grow without a lot of food. (We moved our garden to another spot where it had never been, and it's doing great.)

We are trying to establish some peaches, pears, apples, cherries, apricots, and grapes. Enough for our own consumption and gifts in fresh fruit, jellies, and wines.

We started with peaches. They bore well for about 4 years. Now they appear to have "decline" as the extension service described it. Basically, they grow well until June, then start to drop leaves, and the fruit is very small. One half of one tree just died and dried up.

When the apricots' blooms survive spring frosts, they grow a lot of fruit, but it's very small, and the fruit drops before it's ripe.

I have finally got the deer under control, so they no longer eat the new growth off of the apple trees. The apple leaves turn brown as the season progresses. These are new trees.

The pears a growing like crazy. Now in their third year and very healthy looking. They should bear fruit next year, I'm-a thinkin'.

The grapes are new, too. These are finally growing after several attempts. I fed them this year with Miracle-Gro granules that I had on hand.

I just planted the cherries this spring. They are looking good overall.

I have a hose-mounted root feeder, and had some 1-1-1 ratio cartridges for it. So I gave each fruit tree the dose it recommended. In the future, I'll use a broadcast slow-release type.

Also, I would appreciate some starting suggestions for how and what to spray, based on my area. I have never sprayed, but it's obvious that I need to. What fruit we get is often buggy or damaged-looking. I'm not sure how to recognize some of the various fungi that trees get. But I'll learn.

So, now it's July. I'm open to suggestions as to anything I can do now, for feeding and spraying, based on our area. Then I'd like some starting guidance on things to do for the future. I'll come back regularly with questions as the seasons progress.

Comments (5)