SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canttype

Phalaenopsis Carlotta

canttype
17 years ago

{{gwi:103398}}

Yes sirree bub, I've gone and done it again. Hope I have better luck with her than I did with Lyle;-)

(Juncus spirale)

Carlotta is alot prettier too.

Diane

Found her at SuperStore for $20.00

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures of my new friend:-)

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Diane, Carlotta is sure pretty..Remember, don't keep it soaked in winter and she'll do you good. One thing I like about Phals is they bloom in mid winter to early spring. Some bloom a few times a year.
    Are you going to pot? What type of medium is she planted in? soil, bark, or a mixture? Toni

• canttype
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I've gained a little weight, but I'm no sure I'm going to pot quite yet!! LOL *tears running down my face:-)*!!!

Repot, maybe? It's planted in sphagnum right now. *giggling still* Thinking it might need a bigger pot? I could plant it in bark, Hydroton, sphag or a combination of 2 or 3 of them.... not sure exactly what she would like?

Didn't you go see the blog pictures? There are 4 other photos of Carlotta there. One shows the roots and medium.

You have a way of making me laugh Toni!
    Diane

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Diane, your plants are doing great. I love your Charita..Does it flower often? All your plants look fantastic, including the Juncus..how's it doing now?
    BTW, what is Hydroton? Is it a medium used for hydroponics?
    Do you summer plants outside? Toni

• canttype
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I haven't had the Chirita long enough to know if it's a constant or annual bloomer..... Just got it as a leaf last fall in a trade and I've been learnig about it ever since.

Juncus AKA Lyle Lovette, passed away quietly last week... he will be missed but I tried! *sniff*

Hydroton is an expanded clay medium used for hydroponics and semi hydro. Semi hydroponics is what I've been playing with.... so far without much success. It makes it so you can plant in any container and Hydroton wicks water up from the bottom so roots get moisture, food and lots of O2. My Hoya that I planted in it,it's doing so hot. The leaves are wilting.... good thing I have 2 krimson queens and took cuttings just in case. I think it would have worked better it I had started the project with rooted cuttings instead of a small plant? Who new?

Nope... not one of my plants go outside for summer.... too cold most nights here for house plants. 10C to 15C (or about 50F to60F)

Here is a link that might be useful: Semi hydro site:-)

• joy4me
    17 years ago

Diane;

Toni, that was a good one!!!!

Your Phal. is just beautiful!!. I got my first Phals this year as rescues. I'm hoping I can get them to re-bloom. You seem to be doing a great job!

Are hydroton those clay like ball like things??

• canttype
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yup! Clay like ball things kinda sums it up nicely:-)

Diane

BTW I just got the Orchid today.... I'm hoping I can keep it looking this good!!??

I'm gonna get the evil eyebrow from hubby again! Oh NO!! Lol

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

LOL, the evil eyebrow..widen your eyes, and give him that 'innoncent' look..LOL..Toni

• canttype
    Original Author
    17 years ago

*blink blink* "I just HAD to save it from a horrible death at the store":-)

He's dragged me past the floral department many times, while listening to me moan about the poor desiccated Orchids (and other plants too). He just gave me the 'all knowing nod'!

I'm getting to the point where I might need a bigger house with larger windows!
    Diane