SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notanatural

Some questions about roots- pruning or repotting?

notanatural
17 years ago

Can you guys give me some advice as to when is a good time to repot and also about possibly pruning the roots instead of going one pot size up?

If I start seeing roots coming out from the holes at the bottom, is that an indication that something needs to be done?

I've repotted my hibs twice this year (both times the roots were growing out of the holes) and now, again, I see the roots coming out. I think this is quite ridiculous- I shouldn't be repotting them 3 times in one year!! And also- I can't keep going up in size due to my lack of space.

They came in 3" pots, I first repotted them in a 4" and then a 6". The 6" is a perfect size for my apt- and I'd really like to keep them in that size. What can I do? Can I prune the roots? I've already pruned the tops of all 3 of them because they got too tall. If I can prune the roots- is there any special way I should be doing so?

I'm having the same problems with a jasmine sambac and bay laurel (umm I forget the scientific name- 'nobilis'??) as well. Both are in nice sized pots and I really don't want to pot up but roots are coming out of the holes.

By the way, they really don't show any signs of distress at all- no yellowing or drying up too fast or anything. Just roots always coming out from the holes.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH