SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Dealing with Virginia creeper where I want to plant kiwi

milehighgirl
11 years ago

I have finally purchased my longed-for Arctic Kiwi plants and the site I selected is on the north side of my neighbors privacy fence. The problem is that the neighbors have Virginia creeper not just creeping but lunging out over the top and through the bottom of the fence. I've been digging up sprouts for several years now, but there is no stopping it. I don't feel I can spray what's hanging over the fence because the fence is on their property.

I remove it from my side of the fence several times a summer, but I am afraid that I will not be able to untangle the mess if I get behind on my chore and they get going on the kiwi's.

My plan was to build a grape-type trellis about 3 feet in from their fence. I'm just not sure how diligently I will have to monitor the Virginia creeper. Is there another way to deal with this that I have not thought of?

As far as the kiwi's go, this seems to be the best spot that I have left to plant them in. I could put them in front of my house, but it is mostly shaded there but a few hours a day by the house or the maple tree in the yard.

Comments (4)