SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spiderplant_gw

tiny spider plant babies

spiderplant
17 years ago

My friend just gave me these little spider plant babies w/out roots right of the mommy. Can these root and grow? Thanks.

Comments (23)

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

You can root all the babies at once in a small pot, or individual small pots with good draining soil (don't keep soil wet) or, you can root the ends in water (not the leaves)
    Keep in indirect light.

Billy Rae

• ines_99
    17 years ago

Easy easy easy. I even kept a baby rooting in water for over a year, it got huge, every once in a while when I changed the water I'd add a pinch of fertilizer.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: wanted reverse variegated spider plant babies

Q

Comments (7)
    What is the reverse varigated spider plant. I have the one that is curly and the regular (more with the white in the middle) and the other has less white. I would love to get one and will trade a couple of the babies i've started for one. Thank you,Cheryl
    ...See More

how do i make my spider plant have babies?

Q

Comments (37)
    so, what's the answer? cause i bought my spider plant, already growing, about 3 years ago (give or take) and ive never seen a baby . h**l ive never even had a full bushy plant despite; the south facing window, soaking and drying completely for water (twice a month ill say), i feed liquid fish fertilizer (2-3-0) and replace the potassium with bimonthly banana peels (i prefer organics for plants) . its hanging in a basket .. i changed the soil this summer so i know the tube roots are thriving (actually wasnt prepared for them and scared the begeebys out myself hahaha) . my only thought upon reading above posts ; could i have repotted too soon and didn't let the roots get hugged? cause i assumed like most other plants if you give more space for roots, the more intricate the roots become, the stronger the plant .. is that wrong? helpp !! i want plant babies !
    ...See More

WANTED: Spider plants (adult or babies) for postage

Q

Comments (7)
    Are you still looking for spider plants? I have tons of "Original Green" babies - the leaves are not variegated and it is suspected to be the original spider plant that other varieties spread from. Oddly, it is also the hardest to find. I'd be willing to send you babies for shipping. Please e-mail if you're interested - digitalcrispies@gmail.com
    ...See More

Have rooted Hawaiian Spider plant babies

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi I am interested in a bunch of your babies. I have several types of Aloe,Moses in a Cradle,several types of Cacti,Lots of Kalancho"Mother of Thousands(red flowers),Elephant bush.I have not been on this exchange before so I do not know what/how it actually works
    ...See More
  • spiderplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't think you understand...I've grown babies before...These are just REALLY tiny with no root material yet.

• ines_99
    17 years ago

ohhhhh....I see...jeez, I don't know. I suppose I would try one in water, one in soil and just see what happens. I know I have rooted the tiny ones that had a very tiny root or roots, but never before they had roots at all.

Are you just curious or are you really looking to grow a spider plant? Can your friend give you some babies WITH roots? If not, I have the all green and the striped variety and would be happy to trim a few for you.

• mccaba
    17 years ago

Hey ines,
    I've been looking for some varigated spiders for a while now; if you have extras, I'd gladly take a couple off your hands! :) How do they ship?

spiderplant,
    I used to plant baby spiders with my Preschool class. We would just put whatever looked like the bottom in a little shotglass sized cup with water, and almost always got some roots. Good luck!

• ines_99
    17 years ago

Hi Britta- I would think they'd ship fine, I usually wrap any cuttings roots or cut areas in some wet paper towels and then foil or plastic wrap and then ship 2 day priority mail, I have never had a problem. I can send you both the pothos and the spider cuttings, let me see if I can find your email (or mine)on our profile pages

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Spider, I've rooted many spider plant babies w/o roots in the past. I just placed in water, set in a semi-bright (NO direct sun) area and kept in water..the main thing was keeping water clean, therefore they needed fresh water every two days..I keep water in old milk containers, so instead of using tap, I would refil from my milk containers..it really didn't take long for roots to form, though autumn isn't the best time to start cuttings. Toni

• ines_99
    17 years ago

Britta McCaba, I sent you an email regarding the postage you were supposed to send me for the box of cuttings I sent you. I hope you are enjoying your new plants and that my not recieving the postage money is just an oversite on your part.

Thank you -

Ines

• ines_99
    17 years ago

Well, now I know why people don't like to do this. I won't send anyone cuttings again without recieving postage first and I hope everyone else takes this as a warning. This person seemed nice and honest, but you never know.

• susancarol
    17 years ago

Hi Ines 99, I would be careful sending to non-active members of the forum before receiving postage first. It would be easy to jump on the forum, ask for cuttings and then just disappear.

Susan

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Hi Susan & Ines,

Yes, unfortunately this does happen. I know a very generous member here who often sent out cuttings who had this happen enough times that he had to make it policy, postage FIRST, then cuttings. Sadly, this is someone who is generous to a fault & this was absolutely against his nature, but then again, there is the addage 'once burned, twice shy'. One certainly couldn't blame him, so sadly, I do commiserate w/ yr. experience on this. Seems there just too many folks out there waiting to jump & take advantage of the natural kindness & generosity of others.

(PG) Karen

• ines_99
    17 years ago

yes, I just noticed she had only joined the forum a few weeks before I sent her cuttings. I don't understand people like that, I don't know how they can feel good about themselves. Well, what comes around goes around, someone will steal something from her eventually and she will have no cause to complain, becuase what we put out into the world comes back to us.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Ines, sorry this happened to you. I learned my lesson a few yrs ago when I first signed up here on GW. Ppl'd email me asking for so and so cuttings..(for postage) One girl, (who know longer comes here) asked for a cutting of my night blooming orchid cactus..trying to be nice I told her I had an extra rooted cutting which was actually a small plant and she seems so grateful. The PO was closed so I went to another place that ships packages..the postage was a little over 9.00. That's quite a bit of money. She got the plant but never sent money. She then emails me asking if I wanted to trade..well, it turns out every plant she offered I had. This wasn't the deal in the first place. Then she offered annuals which I didn't want..(for one thing it was cold here way too early to plant, but the main thing was, I wanted the money, not a trade..I never heard from her again. That was the last time I sent plants to someone I didn't know.
    Sorry this has happened to you..to think of someone registering here only to get free cuttings makes me sick..toni

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    17 years ago

Hello Ines_99.

Im alittle late in jumping in here, so please forgive me. Im sorry you got stiffed on postage on here. It does happen. Some people just cant uphold thier end of a deal, and/ or are just plain dishonest.

That said, Id like to ask you if you have any solid GREEN babies that are a decent size w/ roots. If you do, ill be more than happy to send you postage before hand for a couple of them! Please email me and let me know. Post here too so ill know to look in my email. I would really appreciate it. I miss my solid green spider.

As for rooting babies with no roots, its fairly simple. A small cup or budvase that the plant can sit its "bottom" in water, and usually in a couple weeks or so, youll have roots. However, when possible, I wait until the "babies" already have ariel roots.

Below is my spider plant history I posted on another thread.

I am alittle late in coming in here, but Ill share none the less. Ive usually had a spider plant. I think ive had a total of 3. They have usually been very long lived and the only one that never produced seeds or babies was my solid green one. You dont see too many solid green ones, and I kind of am partial to them.

I currently have a small verigated one. I work in Downtown Washington DC, and the Smithsonian Castle's gardnes in the summer usually have many, very large hanging basket spider plants outdoors on light posts. They are ENORMOUS, and usually have hundreds of babies on each plant, if not more. They are all verigated. There are usually 40 or 50 of these giant plants around, and most of them are in direct sun, and do great. My last spider died a few years ago, it never even produced a bloom spike, let alone a baby. It was solid green. So, summer 2004 when I was on my luch break, I took a small baby from one of the gigantic outdoor spiders at Smithsonian. It lived in my office, in water for about a year, and did OK. It did almost die a few times. I took it home and repotted it in winter 05/06 in a small ceramic pot. At one point, it only had 3 leaves. 1 leaf on one, and 2 leaves on the other. Slowly, it put out a couple of new leaves. I placed it outdoors in full sun for the summer, and in less than two months it is 10 times the size it was, it now has about 30 leaves, and has a nice bloom spike that has been blooming for a month, and even has a seed pod. Im hoping I can get a "GREEN" one out of the seeds as id like to keep a verigated one, and a solid green one.

So they definately can take full summer sun, at least here in Washington.

• ines_99
    17 years ago

I wasn't aware of the exchange rules, sorry - but i did want to mention that I finally heard from this person and she is sending me the postage so hopefully it was an oversight on her part and now I feel bad for thinking so negatively! Some people are extremely busy with family and work etc. but it is only fair to follow up in a timely manner on your end of the deal. So anyway, sorry to bring this up, I really didn't know I shouldn't, and everything turned out ok!

• ines_99
    17 years ago

Novaplantguy, I do happen to have some spider plant babies solid green, about 3 with good roots, mans fist size, though not really full, about 10 leaves on each. I also have a 6" pot medium size solid green, could pop it out of the pot, wrap up the root ball and mail to you, it should be fine...though this is a robust variety, the babies grow fast. Just thought I'd offer the med size before the frost does it in- check your email and let me know

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    17 years ago

Ines_99,

THANK YOU!!!!!!! I sent you an email back to your yahoo address. Check it and get back to me. I did not know of any "rules" RE exchanges..etc so sorry for posting it here.

Hope to hear back soon! Thanks again!

~ NPG

• mccaba
    17 years ago

I'm almost afraid to post in here, now that I got torn apart in front of so many people. Life as a single mom of 3 and full time college student got to me, and I just did not get the time to drive to the post office when it was open. The money is on it's way to Ines, and the plants are doing great! Thanks so much for them, I really appreciate it! I also got some plants from the C&S forum, and they will vouch that they received their money.
    Britta

• ines_99
    17 years ago

I'm sorry Britta, don't take it personal, please - you have to see it from our point of view too! I was sure to post here right after I heard from you to set things right and make sure everyone knew. I'm glad you are enjoying the plants and hope they do well for you and I would happily send you cuttings in the future.

I can get busy and forgetful too, and perhaps I should have kept this between us so I feel I owe you an apology for that - I am willing to forget it and move on!

• mccaba
    17 years ago

Ines,
    I didn't mean to sound scruffy, please excuse me if I did. I just hope that people won't judge me and be afraid to send me anything ever again. No hard feelings here! :)
    Britta

• dotti_2007
    17 years ago

I've never had a spider plant before, and always wanted one ,how do i get one ? miss_kitty3602001@yahoo.com

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Go to ANY nursery or Home Depot type place and you'll find them. They are extremely easy to find.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022