SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

California weather in NY

alan haigh
13 years ago

I hear it's been cool following an exceptionally late rain season in CA. Guess you sent us your typical weather. Areas near me have received some helpful rain from thunder storms but my own site has pretty much missed them and it's been a month since rain of any meaning.

In addition we're now getting lots of days in the 90's with low humidity. It's been so long since we've had this kind of weather that it's quite disorienting- I feel as though I'm back in my boyhood home in Topanga Canyon- a coastal canyon between Santa Monica and Malibu.

My well is feeble in the best of times so much of my garden and nursery projects are on their own, helped only by ample mulch. I'd probably be depressed as things start to wilt if I hadn't been through drought so many times in CA and a dry cycle we had here ending about 10 years ago. You have to roll with weather and just hope trees don't die.

Last year it didn't stop raining and start warming up until August so we're about 3 weeks ahead of last years harvest schedule on things starting to come in. The blueberries are pretty sparse compared to last year but I've never tasted any with such intense flavor as what I'm picking now. I think that will be the trend as the first Methely plums are quite intensely flavored for the variety and an Early Majic I just ate had similar intensity. Yay brix!

I'm getting a lot of stink bug damage- probably because I scalped my weedy lawn to conserve water (weed wacked it to dirt) and they've nothing else to feed on. The peach crop was already light from a late freeze so I'm concerned this will further cut into the crop. I'd like to avoid more bug spray.

I suspect thirsty birds and other creatures will be a problem as well but the coons have been kindof sparse- only have had to kill 3 so far and only one squirrel was stupid enough not to disappear at my approach with a shotgun. Another saw me and apparently hasn't returned- so far. Funny how they seem to know not to settle on my property since I started shooting them.

Being a grower where the weather is always changing is as interesting as it is challenging. Guess I'll go do my rain dance now.

Comments (19)