SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandma_gardener_02

help, can I still harvest my grapes?

Lauril Rohde
13 years ago

Can anyone help me? We are newbies to growing grapes. In an attempt to kill the Japanese beetles that were eating the leaves on our grape vine, I wafted a mist of Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect, Disease, and Mite Control 3 times over the top leaves of the vine. We have bunches of green grapes hanging underneath the leaves. Don't know if the mist contacted the grapes themselves, but I suppose it would be impossible for a tiny droplet not to touch a grape. These are Concord grapes so they will not be ready for consumption until September. After doing this stupid thing, I saw on the label of the container that this is not for vegetables or fruit. My husband was wondering if it still might be safe to eat the grapes when they ripen. We plan to can them. Don't know if this would make any difference. I figured that if I called Bayer they would automatically tell me to not eat them because they would want to protect themselves.

If we should not eat them when they ripen, I figured we should cut them off now to give the vine more chance to retain its vigor.

By the way, my husband felt that a safe alternative to what I did is to spray flying insect insecticide on the leaves. I am wondering if that is any safer than what I did.

Would greatly appreciate any knowledgeable help on this.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor