SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Winter Melon/Wax Gourd -- the best veggie you've never tried.

denninmi
13 years ago

I grew 3 kinds of winter melons this year, and got a heaping wheelbarrow full of mature fruits off of about 6 plants. Granted, I might not always be that successful, since it was a very hot summer, and this tropical cucurbit no doubt loves that kind of weather.

I've done a little kitchen experimentation, and have come to the conclusion this is one really versatile vegetable.

Raw, it is very neutral in flavor, with a nice texture. The flesh is crisp, only slightly mucilaginous and very slightly astringent, similar to summer squash in this respect. The texture is a little firmer than summer squash or cucumber, but it's not tough. I've found it to be excellent in mixed salads, and also nice sliced to serve with a dip or spread.

Cooked, it seems to be useful any way one would use summer squash or eggplant. It fries up beautifully, and doesn't shrink nearly as much as summer squash. I was quite surprised that it doesn't seem to lose much moisture when being fried. It also can be used in soups, casseroles, and so forth. Flavor and texture when fried are more similar to eggplant than to summer squash, IMO, although that isn't saying a whole lot, since eggplant and summer squash are very similar overall in flavor and texture.

I'm very anxious to see how long the fruits will store -- it is said, because of the waxy coating, they will last up to a year in cool, dry storage.

I'm quite surprised that this vegetable is NOT more popular. Perhaps the word just needs to be spread -- so, I'm posting this. I'd really encourage anyone in Zone 5 or warmer to give it a try. Don't know how well it would do in zones colder than 5.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths