SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

(nearly) Heaven for Asian veggies

digit
16 years ago

(nearly) Heaven for Asian veggies in a difficult North American climate.

I posted a couple of pictures of our plastic tunnel earlier in the year and want you to see how it ends the growing season. We have had frost on the rooftops so it isn't going to be green here for long.

The photo isn't very good - I had to stand on our garage roof to get far enuf away but that gives you an idea of how protected this area is. There's a bed of mostly basil to the south of it and then a board fence. To the north is my 9' x 20' greenhouse.

In March, seed for Asian leaf vegetables go directly in the soil in the tunnel. Some of the plants are transplanted to the larger garden in April; those that remain reach maturity inside the tunnel while these warm-weather vines begin to grow amongst them. Then the plastic comes off.

With a few tomato cages to get them started and some baling twine to hold everything together - off the vines go! After weeks of Asian greens, lots of bitter melon, snake gourds, and luffa gourds have come out of this little structure over the last couple of months.

Steve

{{gwi:389171}}

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH