SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jll0306

Marvelous Mustard

jll0306
15 years ago

I don't like the mustard greens, but it is supposed to be a good svb trap crop and I had a couple of ancient packets from a yard sale seed purchase, so I planted a few in a shallow container at the corner of the crookneck squash patch.

That was in July and theplants grew big and lush very quickly, but I recently needed their spot for something else, so I picked up the container to move it. I was heartsick to feel the rip of roots tearing free. Who knew that mustard roots would find their way through the drainage holes and into the soil below?

I often say I garden on the reward system. Anything that wants to grow and can beat the heat and the predators gets rewarded with water and tlc. It was obvious that the mustard WANTED to grow here so i nestled those three foot roots into some soft deep soil and watered heavily. i think they are going to make it after all.

What a hearty plant! Just how big does un harvested mustard get, anyway?

(Thank god for garden web, where there are people understand why such an inconsequential story seems like a huge event in a gardener's life. )

j.

j.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022