SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

Fireblight strikes again? It's almost August!

glenn_russell
14 years ago

Hi All-

IÂm not even sure why IÂm posting this when IÂm pretty sure I know the answer, but Does everyone agree that this is the start of another fireblight strike? No darkening of the branches/leaves is visible yet, but the start of the sheppardÂs hook is there. They were nice and straight yesterday, so IÂm thinking that theyÂve only been showing signs for a few hours. If so, this is my 2nd round of strikes. ItÂs damn near August, and I thought that the FB danger time should have passed long ago, but weÂve had incredible amounts of rain. As of the July 24th, we were already the rainiest July on record (on top of an extremely wet winter/spring/early summer). Because these trees are so young, and I'm catching it so early, I'm probably only going to prune 6" below the hook, sterilizing between cuts. If it's so wet next year, perhaps I will spray some AgriStrep profolactivly. I hope these little guys make it through. This couldnÂt be anything but FB, correct? Thanks, -Glenn

My front yard orchard: Starting at the front center and going clockwise: Korean Giant, Honeycrisp*, AshmeadÂs Kernel, Spitzenburg*, and Granny Smith*. Trees with * next to them I believe are showing signs.

{{gwi:120025}}

{{gwi:120026}}

{{gwi:120027}}

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting