SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaparralgirl

My poor Croton...

chaparralgirl
12 years ago

...I'm afraid it might be dying.

Click here; there are four photos, just click on the image to go to the next one.

I got it maybe a year ago, maybe a bit more. It was full of colorful foliage. Since getting it, I've repotted it twice to allow the roots room to grow. In the last several months, though, it's been slowly dwindling away - losing a leaf here or there, and getting very droopy. Just the other week was when I potted in the second time, and I had been keeping it about 7-8 feet from the window. After this repotting, I placed it next to a south-facing window so it could get bright, indirect sunlight. For a few days, it perked right up; but it's since started drooping again, and it's dropped 3-4 leaves. Now I'm noticing that it seems to be cutting off flow to the remaining leaves, and the main stem itself seems to be starting to shrivel in some places. I've watered this thing every two to three days since I got it, allowing enough time for the soil to dry out just a bit. I have to admit, though, that in all this time I've been using tap water - only recently did I learn that tap water sucks for houseplants (and ours is especially saline). I switched to distilled bottled water, adding 1 TBSP of white vinegar to every 5 gallons of water; but I'm afraid it might be too late at this point. I'd check the roots (which looked fine when I last repotted it), but right now I'm afraid of causing more trauma.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments (8)