SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devilwoman_gw

Possible problem with apricot tree

devilwoman
15 years ago

The apricot tree in my backyard has several "globs" on the trunk. Some of them are quarter-size and even larger. TheyÂre not perfectly circular but rather a little elongated. Whatever the stuff is, it's a dark amber color and slightly sticky to touch. Some of these globs extend away from the tree trunk around a quarter inch. Otherwise, the tree seems okay - no dead branches I can see, beautiful green foliage. The apricots are long since gone, but it did produce quite a few earlier in the season. I have no experience with fruit trees (I just bought this house, my first, last fall), and while I'm no fan of apricots I do really like the tree. Is this an indication of some problem with it or is this normal? Here are some pictures. I tried to remove a couple of the globs so I could see what's behind them, but theyÂre hard as a rock and wouldn't budge.

This is the whole tree, well, almost. Looks like I missed getting the topmost branch.

{{gwi:119818}}
These next several are of various spots with globs. There seem to be more at the base of the trunk than higher up. I apologize for a couple of these being a bit blurry, but I think you can still see the globs in them fairly well.

{{gwi:119819}}

{{gwi:119820}}

{{gwi:119821}}

{{gwi:119822}}

{{gwi:119823}}

This last one is holes in the tree, but I think they might be from woodpeckers

{{gwi:119824}}

A friend believes the problem may be borers (although he's not sure). If thatÂs the case, is there anything I can do for the tree without also harming the birds and squirrels who seem to like the tree even more than I do?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!