SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandond_gw

building a berm for blueberry bushes

brandond
13 years ago

Im going to be building a berm for planting blueberry bushes. I have a nice large area, roughly 3500sq ft. Im going to plant around 80 bushes. IM going to build my berms this summer and finish early winter. I will ammend the planting spots every 3ft with sulfur and copperas. Im going to mulch the berms with shreaded oak leaves. My question is how deep should the berms be. The soil is terrible and mostly the orangish color on the surface. This is why IM buying topsoil and building berms. The slope is downward at maybe 8 or 10 degree pitch. I was thinking a foot deep in the center and probably 3 ft wide. I know with my experience that blueberry bushes have a shallow root system. I also will use drip irrigation with non pressure compensating emitters that are every 6 inches. I have a rain barrel storage capacity of around 1300 gallons that I use to water with. Of course this is supplemental water.I know raised beds tend to dry out faster and I will mulch heavily with oak leaves. SO is building the berms a foot deep enough for my operation. I certainly have drainage in my favor. I will make the berms nice and fertile with compost and the leaves.

Comments (6)