SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notanatural

Hibiscus trying to bloom but can't

notanatural
16 years ago

I'm so bummed about my hibs. They've really struggled since last winter.

Last summer they both bloomed a few times for me, and that was while they were still very young, had just got them from an online nursery in a 2.5" pot.

Then came winter, by which time they were in a 6" pot, but they both really struggled. First it was constant yellowing, then a real bad case of persistent white fly infestation.

Now, finally, since about July of this year, they have once again started to take off. Both are in 8" pots and are on a southern window, getting about 5-6 hrs of sun. Maybe more. They look very healthy once again with green glossy leaves.

One is now really trying very hard to bloom because there is constantly a teeny weeny new bud beginning from the tips. But before they even get remotely big, they dry off. This has been happening for weeks now and it still keeps on producing these pre-buds.

The other one probably won't flower for me for a while coz I really had to hack it down coz of the white flies. But it's growing very vigorously. However, I did the last hack maybe in Feb, so shouldn't it be time it flowers? It flowered the most last year as a tiny plant.

Do you think I'm just not feeding enough or feeding too much? I feed it either Spray-n-grow or Miracle Gro, probably once every 10-14 days- whenever I have time or can remember.

Comments (12)