SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
exbrooklyn

half of my jade plant is dying

exbrooklyn
15 years ago

I received a jade plant as a gift about 5 years ago. It's in a clay pot in a cactus mix and gravel. It's on a shelf in a window that gets full sun for most of the day. I water it every Sunday and drain out whatever water collects in the clay dish at the bottom of the pot. It has always been healthy and growing well and seemed a happy plant. (It never bloomed, tho. I never even knew that jade plants did bloom until today!) Just within the past few weeks I started to notice three of the stems shriveling and entire branches of leaves falling off. Today when I went to water it I jiggled one of the shriveled stems and it broke off. The same happened with the other two stems. The widest was practically hollow inside and the part left sticking out of the pot had what appeared to be lichen (that sea green color) lining the inside of the stem. When I took a REALLY close look at one of the smaller remaining stems I spotted a tiny white bug (too small to be an aphid - it looked more like some sort of mite) that disappeared as quickly as it appeared. I could find no other of these critters. The other half of the plant appears to be perfectly healthy but I'm afraid that whatever killed one half will soon spread to the other. What can I do? Take cuttings? Transplant? I can't just let it die without trying to save it. Please help!

Comments (4)