SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silver2_gw

Jonathan Apple tree

silver2
15 years ago

Good morning,

I have a pair of Jonathan dwarf trees, that are about twenty feet tall, kind of let them get to big. But they are loaded with apples this year, first time since I planted. Should I fertilize them at this point to help the development of the apples. I did the fruit tree spikes last fall, but have not given them anything yet this year. They seem pretty pest free, knock on wood, and the apples are already getting color. But are very small, which is about right, as Jonathans are an early apple. The general information on them is they are a September pick apple, one of the early ones. One of them bore a few apples last year, but not many. We removed some large trees that were growing about thirty feet behind the apple trees and kind of attribute the flourishing of the pair to that. I had someone come in and prune them for me about six years ago, and he took off a lot of growth, but they did not bear.

So the main question is, should I be giving them some fertilizer at this point. And the second question is I would like to get them pruned back to a shorter stature. As they are both pretty darn big trees for dwarfs. We are in Vermont and the winters can be pretty rugged.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I put this pair in for my husband close to twelve years ago as it is impossible to find Jonathans locally, no one grows them anymore. And it is his favorite apple. And they were close to five feet when I put them in. So they are, I guess, slow maturing trees.

TIA

Comments (9)