SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shiver_mn

Renewing love for plants---your experiences?

shiver
16 years ago

A few years ago I found growing orchids was destroying my love for plants. Raising orchids in MN is tough business---there's all sorts of issues with artificial lighting, humidity, water quality, and air circulation. Because none of those things were to the orchid's preference in my home, bugs were a constant battle. All that plus the sheer expense of purchasing orchids, examining ALL roots EVERY year for rot and trimming them, repotting each and every year----it became too much and I lost my joy for plants entirely.

Thank goodness my passion for plants renewed itself after I got rid of my orchids and went outdoors to see plants in their natural habitats. I am wondering if any of you have had similar experiences?

A waring newbies can take from what happened to me:

More is not necessarily better---be careful your plant hobby doesn't take over your life and become "work." If you refuse to grow plants that will do well in the environment you have to offer, things can get to be a real headache REAL fast!

Comments (26)

• tjsangel
    16 years ago

Yes, I know what you mean! I have tried the same plant many times, wasting money pretty much, with no success. I have finally given that dream up. Now I grow more common varieties, some are very large and pretty. None that require lots of humidity, that I dont have. Or blazing sun, like most cacti, I just dont have lots of sun anywhere. So, if I dont stress so much over what I cant have, I'm happy! And so are my plants.

Jen

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

With me, plants go in cycles: I'll have a bunch for a while, and then at some point something will happen that distracts me, and gradually the numbers will dwindle until the next cycle. I don't necessarily recommend it, but it's one way to find out what plants are true survivors.*

I think we're coming to the end of a cycle now, since I just got a greenhouse job at a nearby garden center, and the last thing I want to do when I get home from eight hours of watering / tending / repotting tropical plants is to water, tend, and repot my own personal tropical plants. Will it end my love of plants? Doubtful. But any plants that aren't doing so well right now should maybe be nervous. (Croton, I'm looking at *you*.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*survivors of more than one cycle:
    Yucca elephantipes (1998 or 1999),
    Euphorbia tirucalli (2001),
    Spathiphyllum 'Sensation (2003),'
    Cereus peruvianus (2004),
    Haworthia retusa (2004)
    Dracaena deremensis 'Lemon-Lime (2005)'

• Related Discussions

Renewal of vows- any advice??

Q

Comments (20)
    I promised in this post to post my vows. Again, we didn't exactly do vows. My brother-in-law started the "ceremony" be announcing that we would basically recite our thoughts and feelings. He did a wonderful job. I don't have a copy of dh's words, but you'll get the idea from mine below. We had this party as a backyard picnic sort of thing, did the "ceremony" on our deck with microphones. It turned out beautifully. Really enjoyed it. Here is what I said (names changed to protect our privacy) My dearest John, 25 years ago, we stood at the alter together and pledged our commitment to each other. I remember standing there hoping we would be right for each other and that everything would work out for us. Little did I realize what a gem of a man I was marrying. We have had a wonderful twenty-five years together. This ceremony would not be complete without the mention of our wonderful children. We were both elated at the birth of each of our children. And have continued to be very proud parents as they have each grown into wonderful human beings. And each has their special traits and personality. Dana is a beautiful young woman who has really blossomed with her education and Chinese language and cultural experience. And John has turned into a wonderful young man with the determination to learn to fly at 17. But John, you have been a wonderful man, husband and father. No woman could ask for anything more. YouÂve put up with me for all these years and I know that has not been easy. I know that I can be demanding and difficult at times, but I have always loved you. When we got married, we had nothing, except our love for each other. WeÂve both worked long and hard for everything we have today. We were only in our early 20Âs when we married and we sort of grew up together. But the most important thing we have that we have built is this marriage. WeÂve had our good times and our bad. As I write this I try to think of our good times together, but I canÂt think of any in particular, because our entire marriage has been our good times. Our next 25 years together promises to hold some unusual challenges for us both. But at this point IÂm certain we will make it through those challenges. Thankyou John, for all that youÂve meant to me. I love you John Robert Smith and I always will.
    ...See More

Rianna and Re-newing Invitation for a TX Convention

Q

Comments (150)
    Okeydoke - sorry I'm late w/this, but here's the list. Tin snips/metal cutter Lineman Plier - 7" fits most womens hand best. Trowel - round nose - for mixing and applying concrete Garden gloves w/rubber palms Rags Pigments if you want to color your cement Wire brush, nail or tooth brush can be useful w/cleaning textured or porous surfaces in smoothing out the concrete. For those driving, bring your own large buckets/ I have some containers also. If time permits and you want to begin mosaicing your sculpture on the second day, bring: tesserae tools for cutting (nippers or hammer) adhesives and applicator Riana provides the metal lathe - it's the diamond-shaped kind used for plastering walls - NOT hardware cloth w/the square holes. She provides the sand, cement and 19 guage wire (I use 18 cuz of lack of hand strength) for stitching, and I think she provides dust masks. Any questions, fire away.
    ...See More

Renewed again

Q

Comments (21)
    Hi Bouldergrower, There are people on this site (houzz) that love to trade or adopt & are willing to pay the postage so it cost you only the trip to get it mailed back to them. Priority postage has free boxes in several sizes that mail out starting at $5.95. I am one of those who sends postage as well as sends out all my extra succulents & asst. indoor propagations just for postage. Just look over the other forums on the opening page for the Exchanging & Trading one & post what you have. When it warms up you will be surprised at the prospects that come in. You may hear from me! Be Blessed in this New Year, Trudy
    ...See More

Experience with Renewal by Andersen windows?

Q

Comments (63)
    I'm going to say something on this very old post. I hope everyone is happy with the choices they made on their windows and doors. So are we. We replaced all 17 windows in our house late 2022 with Renewal by Andersen (some single casements, some double and triple sliding windows) and are ecstatic with the results. Comments about trying to find windows, find a contractor (our always reliable fantastic contractor that we've used for years said no to doing the project due to the size and complexity of the windows), etc. are true. Was RBA expensive? Yes, chokingly so! BUT....the team that did the measurements, and the installation, were superb, and we could not recommend them more highly. One stop shopping as they say, We would go with them again in a heartbeat.
    ...See More
  • shiver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Mr. S---you have a job at a greenhouse? That's as cool as it gets! How do you like it? I would LOVE to work in a garden center, but my career as a nurse has wrecked my body (got my back broken in three places when a patient fell on me). I did apply for a job at my favorite nusery a few years ago, and the manager scowled at me the second he saw me. First question: can you haul 50lb bags of soil/mulch/seed across the parking lot to the place where customers park? Second question: can you load 75lb rolls of sod onto pallets? Well cripes, I'm 5'2" and weigh 100lbs, and even if I didn't have a messed up spine I couldn't do that! It was the interview that made all my dreams of working in a greenhouse slide away.... :(

• naturelover_mtl
    16 years ago

LOL, that's funny Mr. Sub... I tend to do the same thing. About once a month I do a *thorough* cleaning of my plants. This includes ditching whatever is not doing well...(And I'm looking at some of my plants lately...one of them (and we won't name names or point fingers) is goind to bite the dust soon. I love my plant hobby but refuse to let it turn into a chore that I'll become weary of. So I add many different plants over the course of a year and whatever survives that twelve month cycle (and looks good) stays put. As for the rest, I plead the fifth :)

By the way Mr. Sub...I am soooooo envious. I'd LOVE to work at my local garden center!!! But we may be moving to another city next summer and I have to refrain from applying... Maybe next year...

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

Well don't be *too* envious. It's only the start of my second week, and so far I'm not sure I want there to be a third. It's hot, and I'm constantly wet, and I'm not in shape for it, there are no benefits because I'm under 40 hours a week (their decision, not mine), and it doesn't pay well (which *is* my fault -- I wanted to work there and didn't want to give them a reason not to hire, so I lowballed my pay expectations, which I now regret). Also I'm the new guy, so I'm getting all the usual New Guy things wrong, which isn't fun, either. I'm liking the actual tending of plants and customers okay, but the rest of it is not what I thought it would be.

It still (to bring the subject back around to the original topic) isn't likely to make me hate plants, though there is an element of if-you-visit-a-hot-dog-factory-you'll-stop-eating-hot-dogs to the experience. I'm still (obviously) working through my feelings about the whole thing, but possibly some hobbies are better left hobbies?

• naturelover_2007
    16 years ago

Shiver, try to find a smaller nursery to work for. I did and loved it. I mostly worked for the trade of plants and now have many favorites. I can understand the disapointment of growing an orchid only to lose it the first year. I have some of the 'tuff' type and then only one 'special treatment'. And one important fact: There is no such thing as a plant police to lock you up if one dies and you replace him! Keep trying till you find a plant that works and then you find happiness!

• shiver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mr S---knowing it's possibly not all it's cracked up to be made me feel the tinest bit better about not working in a greenhouse myself. That said, I really hope this job turns around for you. I'm not sure what your career experiences have been, but for me, starting a new job is *very* stressful. My usual response is to question if I made the right decision for the first few months. I also feel for you about the poor pay/no benefits thing---that's standard when it comes to nursery work. Somehow I always thought my love for green things would make up for that in the end, but if you're truly not enjoying it, than maybe it's not worth it. I wish you well, and good luck with your job or any change in direction you decide to make. :)

Thanks everyone for responding to this thread, as I love to hear how people adjust their passion for plants to keep it new and exciting. I can't imagine what I'd do without this hobby to help me though the tough times (and it seems like it is ALL tough times!).

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I tried the whole orchid thing too, even with hydroponics I couldn't keep them going for very long. There is nothing simple about growing orchids, after a few years I just gave up. I may try again when I get my greenhouse, but that's a few years away.

Shiver, don't feel too bad about not getting that greenhouse job, the pay isn't that great and even things you enjoy doing just become work in the end. I worked in a greenhouse when I was very young, and the money didn't matter, but eventually had to find something to pay the bills...a few years later I took a job in a garden center, but taking care of the greenhouse plants was a very small part of it, most of it was the register, dealing with the customers, tagging merchandise etc etc. Some time later I took a part time job working for an interior landscaping company, basically going around to offices and stores and restaurants, taking care of "contract" plants. Sound like fun? Not really. You'd be sickened by all the crap people throw into the pots, gum, cigarette butts, chicken bones, leftover coffee and soda and God knows what else. Unfortunately it all becomes just another job eventually, you stop caring and can only think about how lousy the pay is, no matter how much you know about plants, for everyone but the owner of the company.

I thoroughly enjoy caring for my plants at home, but having had hobbies/collections that got out of control, you are very right about it becoming a chore, and lets not forget an expense as well. Fortunately space and money constraints have been a consideration for me when the urge hits to get another hoya, so I have been able to keep things under control. Also, once winter rolls thru, I get a little break from the plants, they just don't require as much attention at that time. So when spring rolls around, I am ready and excited to dive into it again!

• marquest
    16 years ago

As I age I am finding it harder and harder to keep my love of as many plants as I have now. I haul in 100s of pots out every summer and they look so pretty after two months and then it is time to haul them in for the winter to only go downhill bit by bit and by January I am looking at sorry ugly things.

It is not very rewarding to only see a pretty plant for a few months and hurt myself dragging them all in before the snow falls. I may leave some out to die this winter. I am thinking maybe leaving them all out to die.

I am a small woman getting older and weaker every year.

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Dear Marquest,

Perhaps you might share some of them w/ friends &/or neighbors, keeping the smaller, more favorite ones for yourself?

I'm pretty consistent over the years w/ the plants, (indoors only) in the last decade +. This year got the best of my collection, I suffered some Hoya losses this summer (some brief spurts of intense summer heat). Combination of happenings, my father's death, quick travel, a small piece of surgery myself 2 wks ago, trouble on the job, now having to start looking for a new one. It's just been one thing after another. Been hard to get back into regular routines.

I just lost some more H. polyneura again (drats!!). Can't seem to get the moisture right ... sigh ...

I've been wanting to get some more Hoyas (Hi Ines!!),this time from Cowboy Flowerman, but haven't made it happen yet, also an old Hoya swap to do, maybe this Fall.

Am going to pass on some of my small Crassulacae to Kim who used to Post at C&S & I think Hoyas. They've struggled w/ NY weather & would be far happier in her warmer climate. I'm also considering moving out some IDed Aloes, but haven't figured out who to give them to.

• shiver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marquest, I *much* appreciate your problem as I have some serious physical issues myself. Trust me, you don't have to give up your love for plants entirely, just adjust it a bit. Here are a few ideas that have helped me:

Like PirateGirl I only do indoor plants now---hauling everything in and out of the house was enough to have me laid out in pain for days afterward. There ARE plants that do wonderfully despite being given poor indoor light all year (I own about 175 them). I personally think smaller plants would be better as well, though I do grow a few bigger ones and pay for it dearly when they have to be re-potted. Another thing that really helps me: using a lot of plant stands----I refuse to keep plants on the floor where I have to bend over and break my back to check on them. Buy your potting soil in smaller bags, as trying to manage those huge ones is enough to kill a girl. Ture, it's more expensive in smaller quantities, but it will save on your body. The one problem I can't seem to get around is that it takes too much standing on my feet to get all the watering done, so I think I'll have to thin down my collection in the next month or so.

If I had to give up my love of plants because of my physical limitations, I would go insane. If you want to know more about making gardening accessible there is a whole forum here about it (assessible gardening), or you can email me for further ideas. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Accessible Gardeing Forum link

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Marquest, how dramatic! If I were you I'd just give some of those plants away. It shouldn't be hard to find a home for them, and there is no point in having them if you aren't enjoying them.

And as for Polynuera, water when dry. I practically ignore that plant, maybe you are overwatering?

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Running out and buying a new plant is fun..then, you see another and another, etc, until you find yourself with a house full of plants.
    I go through certain spurts..before I'd only buy tropicals, but my new love is succulents, (though I'd never toss trops) in the last 2 wks I bought 15 at Walmart, 1.25 each..Ebay 12 for 10.95. 2 other sucs from the same seller, and various Mother of Thosands. LOL..
    The only plants outside this yr are citrus, C&S's, hibs, gardenias, Voodoo Bulb, Asparagus ferns & families, ivy, Flowering Maple, Olive, Clivias and a few more.
    The only time I neglected plants were last winter when there were problems at home. Feeding time is a lot of work, but I find fertilizing different families a little at a time, gets the job done.
    Even when I worked for Home Depot and Rentokil, many times a new plant would come in and home it came with me.

Shiver, don't think whoever interviewed you was joshing when they asked can u lift 'x' pounds..I ruined my back lifting pots half my weight. (one reason I've come to detest self-watering pots)

Ines, after Rentokil closed its outlet store doors, they wanted me to drive a 1 1/2 hour drive, and work as a plant tech which cosisted of the same things u mentioned..After talking to other techs, and hearing the crap they found in plant pots made my stomach turn. +

I wouldn't mind working at another plant center, if I didn't have to lift 50lb bags and 75lb plants w/pots.

Every so often I feel like plants are a chore, but what really set me back is my outside gardens..It took yrs to accomplish what I wanted, digging, weeding, spending money, planting plants: now I'm super tired of it..I'm ready to dig everything up and sow grass seed again..It's just too much work..the weeds are winning, and I don't use weed killers.
    For the time being, plants are a big comfort..Hope they stay that way..

Mr. Sub, good luck w/your new job..Hope you find nice plants..Toni

• whimsicalgardener
    16 years ago

What a fascinating thread for a newbie to Garden Web.

Much as I would love to work in or own a greenhouse, I know that my back would not go along for the ride. I do, however, volunteer in a greenhouse once a week. It is pure heaven. The learning curve never ends. Any number of cuttings and rejected plants come home with me...an endless source of experimentation, learning, and joy.

Yes, it can all get to be a bit much at times, but I would have to forced to give up entirely, as working with plants is my "therepy"...my escape. I am trying to learn to pace myself. Not everything gets watered or weeded in one day.

I love the line..."there are no plant police". That's one of that hard lessons to learn. For years, I could never kill a living thing. If I could not find a good home for it
    (and there are always people happy to take your plants) I would just have to keep it. I am slowly reforming, and learning the joys of turning the less-than-the-best into compost.

Public gardens, greenhouses, and Parks are often happy to accept plant donations.

What about having indoor plants and outdoor plants, but eliminate those that need to come in for the winter? So far, my husband has done all the seasonal hauling, but the time has come when I have to choose between my plants and my husband's long life...I am definately leaning toward my husband's long life.

I am going to hop to the accesible gardening forum mentioned by one poster. One of the greatest lacks out there is good equipment and options for gardening with physical limitations. If someone really wanted to make money, I think that would the be the business to be in.

• pepperomia
    16 years ago

Regarding being a plant tech and picking gross things out of soil: yes, it is a shame and it raises lots of questions in my mind about the state of society and the human race in general (were these people raised in a barn?), but freeing the plant from these disgusting pollutants (batteries, chewed gum, and worse...) feels like nurturing to me! I think I am a little nuts, maybe!

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Yes, pepperomia, it is nurturing, till you are picking cigar butts out of the next plant and see some scumbag spit into the one you just cleaned (this happened at the race track, one of our "clients")Truly freeing the poor plants would mean removing them from that environment entirely.

Toni, I know what you are saying about outdoor gardening wiping you out...though there are so many rewards, in some ways it is a thankless and neverending job...weeds that spring up overnight in a just weeded garden, spending all day breaking your back planting impatiens only to get up the next morning to find them chewed down to soil level by the deer that consider your garden their personal salad bar, the petunia worms (now why don't the deer eat them??) the constant watering, the wisteria taking over if you don't machete it back every 24 hours etc etc....it is a full time job for sure!!!

• marquest
    16 years ago

I do not know anyone in my neighborhood or circle of friends that love plants. Most of my friends think I am out of my mind. LOL I probably have more dirt inside in the winter than I have outside.

I am in zone denial. So I have a lot of tropical plants. The succulents, Armarylis and typical houseplants I keep upstairs in every available window.

The large plants, Brugmansias, Gingers and Aroids, Cannas, and Bannanas etc. I keep in the laundry room.

• seaecho1
    16 years ago

I've had better luck growing orchids than I thought I would. I like to say they are just more "exacting" in their requirements than say, a dracaena. But admittedly, I have loads of sun here - over 350 days a year) I've had 40+ orchids for about 5 yrs. now, and have stopped trying to grow the more difficult types. But the oncidium family seems to do well for me. So do the Miltonias and hybrids of those. Catts also have done well. I can't grow phals for very long, as they always seem to rot sooner or later (usually after I've had them for 2-3 years, and am attached). Paphs can be temperamental too. I stopped concentrating mainly on orchids and have "branched out," so to speak, to other house plants, (even though I've had common house plants for the last 30+ yrs) and am finding it rewarding. I'm sorry I picked up six Rex begonias a year ago, as they are just now starting to decline. They did so well until now. But its summer, and the humidity is so low, even though I have pebble trays and mist a lot. I've been trying to stick to the easier plants, because when I get a reward (blooms, new growth, etc) I am encouraged to keep trying. Its what keeps my passion going. Yesterday morning my little LC orchid presented me with a bloom! It was a tiny baby when I got it, so this was quite a pleasant surprise. Toni talked me into trying a hibiscus, and boy. . . I never expected what I got! It opens a new bloom almost daily this time of year, and really does bloom just about year round. In winter the blooms aren't quite as frequent, but the plant has been a joy. I also got my first plumerias not long ago, and am trying morning glories too. There are so many possibilities out there! And you never know if you can grow something until you try it!

Randi

• riptidefrog
    16 years ago

Currently my love of plants is being revived by being back at school. My apt is smaller but has alot of windows in the rooms that i spend most of my time in. So i get to take care of my plants constantly.

Over the summer the plants were in a south facing window all day and i was working 13 hours a day and had alot of things to do. taking care of the plants took a back seat and they probably only got watered about 3-4 times the whole summer. Amazingly most of them made it, the only real death was my croton :(

But what really keeps me going is watching the plants grow and change on a day to day basis. i love to watch the roots crawl over the soil and dig down, i love to see how much fuller the plants get over time. I especially love to watch as the leaves unfurl and take on shape and color or variegation. I have even gone so far as to attach pieces of tape to dracaena leaves near the center to see how long it take before the new leaves grow out.

And if things arent moving all that quickly, thats fine, i can always make cuttings and watch how those send out roots in water or repot rootbound plants.

i'm sure i'm a bit OCD about my plants but it keeps me interested and i doubt i'm alone in that .

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

While my love of gardening hasn't suffered much, working as a florist and with both indoor and outdoor plants for over twenty years has soured me on houseplants and ruined my health. All those people who would say "it must be so fun to be a florist or work at a garden center" had no clue how physically and mentally demanding it was plus all the work on holidays and weekends for low pay and no benefits and no time for my own family events.

I look at my few houseplants that need repotting or outdoor plants that need spraying or pruning and all of the weeding and go back to reading about gardening instead of doing it.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Ha! Buyorsell, I know exactly what you mean! Working in the plant business does take some of the fun out of it, but I must say that it's working in the plant business where you are dealing with the both the public (people) and deadlines so your boss can make money money money (while he pays you peanuts)is what sucks about it. My first greenhouse job was as a helper for some rich lady ( well, she was young, late 20's I guess )who grew plants as a hobby, her husband made the big bucks and she had this little greenhouse/interior plant care business just to keep her from being bored! There was no pressure, it was very relaxing, she and I hit it off like kindred spirits, and she really enjoyed teaching me all about plants and propagating etc....some days she just locked up the greenhouse and took me to botanical gardens or nurserys just to look around! That was one heck of a job, but certainly not something I could have supported myself on...

• breenthumb
    16 years ago

This is very timely for me, because I've been feeling the same way. I used to be here regularly but lately, it seems, I'm just not interested. I looked at two anthurium half the summer that I knew needed to be transplanted before I finally did it. One, I just root pruned and put into fresh soil and back into its pot. I just can't let it get any bigger and the time for making new cuttings had long passed. The smaller one went into a more appropriate pot size with fresh soil.

Then there are all the cuttings that I started some time ago and are doing well. They too need to be transplanted into still larger pots. And then I'll have to find new places for them because they won't fit where they are anymore.

I've been upset about the outside foundation plants in front of house ( or lack of, now that they've been removed) and what to do about that. Plus other issues. So maybe its just carrying over to plants in general. But caring for my houseplants has always been enjoyable no matter what was going on and its just not right now. Hoping this passes while they are still healthy. Sandy

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Y'all reminded me of my first job in a florist shop when I was young. As low man I was the one who got to take all the stamens off the Easter lilies every day so they wouldn't stain the petals or the tablecloths or whatever. It was years before I could even Look at Easter lilies!
    Don't know what I'd do without my plants now--they are the therapy I need with my husband's serious illness. Give me something good to look forward to. I'm not very young either, and sometimes it's too much and things don't get done when they should be--or at all! but I enjoy what I can do and what they do without as much help from me as I would prefer to give them, and I really can't imagine having to get along without them. I've gardened all my adult life--and at least a little when I was a kid--and it's pretty much on a level with breathing.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Breenthumb, it is probably just a phase...sometimes it helps to pick one of the easier tasks and just force yourself to do it. Halfway through you may even start to enjoy it, and feel inspired to start on something else.. I will be gone from here for most of the winter, once the weather changes and all the tropicals come in doors, growth slows down and I become immersed in other things, so I think it's normal to have a lack of interest occasionally.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I don't mind Easter lilies but I will detest Poinsettias to the day I die.

• breenthumb
    16 years ago

Thanks, Ines. I think you're right. I jumped over to Aroid Forum last night to see if anyone was concerned about dipping nite temps. yet and spent a couple of hours (with broadband!) on a link to "Exotic Rainforest." They built their own rainforest in Arkansas of all places. Its a huge beautiful site complete with pictures and sound and loads of info. Sorry I haven't learned to post a link but it was one of the Anthurium threads, if anyones interested. Don't think I'd have done that if I'd lost complete interest.

I usually get a lot more done during DH's fishing (June) and hunting (all Fall, off and on) trips. So much easier to literally "dig in" when I can make a mess and not have to clean it all up before we have lunch/dinner. Dirt spreads no matter what. And then there's getting things in just the right pots so there's plenty of those all over the kitchen too. LOL

Yup, its just a temporary slump. Sandy

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus